Street Light Outages
First Energy/ The Illuminating Company owns the electric utility and all street lights in our community except the black decorative variety. To report a streetlight outage please use the Illuminating Company outage automated reporting line at 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or by completing the online outage form.
The City of Berea owns the black decorative poles you may have noticed on Bagley Rd, Front Street, Coe Lake and other areas. If you notice our lights in need of maintenance please call 440-826-5816.
When reporting streetlight outages, let them know where the streetlight is located (pole number if there is one), and what is wrong with it (damaged pole, light is off, light fixture is broken, the light comes on during the day, or the light flickers).
Most streetlights can be repaired within a few days, however, sometimes the repairs can take longer if equipment needs to be replaced.
Stay Safe Around Downed Power Lines
With the summer storm season here, please follow these safety tips if you see a power line on the ground or hanging lower than normal:
- Don’t go near the wire, the pole or anything the wire is touching. Always assume a downed wire is carrying electricity, which can severely injure or kill you.
- Call the Illuminating Company immediately at 1-800-589-3101 to report a downed power line.
- Warn others to stay away until help arrives. Keep pets away, too. If for some reason you are unable to report the downed line to The Illuminating Company, contact your local police or fire department.
- Customers with a communication disability can report a downed wire using the appropriate TTY/TDD relay service.
Other tips for staying safe around downed power lines:
- If a downed line is near water – even a small puddle – keep away.
- Be careful not to stand under damaged tree limbs or power lines. Tree limbs can become weakened during a storm but not fall until several hours or days later. The same can be true for damaged power lines or poles.
- Don’t drive over downed power lines. Downed power lines that come in contact with a vehicle create a dangerous situation. Generally, if a power line falls over your car, the safest thing to do is stay put. If you have a cellular phone, call The Illuminating Company at 1-800-589-3101 or the local police or fire department to report your situation.
- If passers-by are near, honk your horn, lower your window, and alert them of your situation. Warn them to stay away and not to touch the vehicle. If you don’t have a cell phone with you, ask them to report the problem to the electric company or the local emergency department.
400 Barrett Road
Berea, OH 44017
Assistant Superintendent Administration
Sandra O. Vozar
P.E., Utility Engineer
440-826-5800, ext. 6225
Water Plant Superintendent
For immediate attention 24/7, dial 234-5652, ext. 461
For concerns about water quality 24/7, dial 234-5652, ext. 226
To speak with the shift operator 24/7, dial 234-5652, ext. 225
Water/Sewer Billing Finance Department
Director of Public Safety/Service
After hour emergencies:
Police Department 440-826-5870