Rubbish Collection & Disposal
The City of Berea's trash and recylcing is picked up by an automated system through Republic Services. Rubbish and recycling are picked up by blue and green carts.
For carts or replacement of damaged carts, please call Republic Services Customer Service at
For more infromation about recycling, please visit the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District's website at www.cuyahogaswd.org
When a holiday falls on or before your regular pickup day, your rubbish and recycling will be collected one day later than usual. For example, if your regular pickup day is Friday, your rubbish / recycling will be picked up on Saturday. The following Holidays will affect your pickup schedule: - New Year's Day - Memorial Day - July 4th - Labor Day - Thanksgiving Day - Christmas Day.
ONE DAY RUBBISH COLLECTION SYSTEM - CITY WIDE
RUBBISH, RECYCLING, AND YARD WASTE COLLECTION IS ON FRIDAY - CITY WIDE
Blue Cart Rubbish Collection
*All household garbage and non-recylable trash
- Must be bagged and placed in the blue cart
- Cart lid opening must face the street and handle must face the home
- Cart must be placed on driveway or tree lawn approximately 3 ft. from curb
Heavy and Bulk Items - Once A Month
Bulk items such as household furniture, appliances, televisions and other miscellaneous unwanted household items can be placed at the curb on your regular collection day. Bulk Trash will be picked up ONE DAY ONLY. Remember that when placing an old refrigerator at the curb, the doors must be removed and placed next to the refrigerator.
2016 Bulk Pickup Calendar
2017 Yard Waste and Bulk Pickup Schedule
- Large car parts, tires, batteries, etc.
- Building materials and debris by contractors or private dumpster services. These items must be removed and disposed of by contractors.
Yard Waste Regulations
- Grass clippings and other yard waste should be placed in brown paper yard bags, not to exceed 40 lbs.
- Small branches must be cut and bundled, not to exceed 3 ft. or 40 lbs, and placed next to yard waste bags or yard waste cans.
- Yard waste generated by contractors must be removed and disposed of by contractors.
- Loose leaves – The City of Berea will collect leaves at the curb according to published schedule in the fall.
- Brush piles, large branches (3 ft. or longer) – Call the City Service Dept. for pickup – 440-826-5853.
Collection Guidelines and Times
To ensure pickup of your rubbish and recycling materials, please place them on your tree lawn before 7 a.m. on your pickup day. Recyclables are picked up separately.
NOTE: CITY ORDINANCE PROHIBITS THE PLACING OF RUBBISH OR RECYCLING AT THE CURB EARLIER THAN 4:30 P.M. THE DAY BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED PICKUP.
Curbside Recycling with 65 Gallon Green Cart
- Newspapers: The entire newspaper including inserts.
- Aluminum, steel and bimetal cans- food and beverage cans only.
- Glass: Bottles and jars- food and beverage containers only.
- Plastics: Clean empty containers #1-7
*Please rinse all containers listed above
- Misc. paper: Magazines, junk mail, cardboard and paperboard (cereal & clean pizza boxes).
2016 Yard Waste and Recycling Information
2017 Yard Waste and Bulk Pickup Schedule
Republic Services- Info on recycling
Plastic labeled 1-7 are recyclable. Check plastic container bottoms for the symbols.
Newspaper Recycling with Republic Services
Place in green recycle cart
Newspaper Recycling with Abitibi Recycling
You will see green and yellow Abitibi Recycling Bins throughout the City of Berea. These bins are for the collection of magazines, newspapers, office and school papers, catalogs and junk mail. Abitibi reimburses the institutions for the paper collected in these recycling bins.
Locations throughout Berea:
- Berea-Midpark High School
- Berea Municipal Pool
- Grindstone Elementary School
- Roehm Middle School
- St. Adalbert’s School
- St. Mary's Church
- St. Mary's School
- St. Paul Lutheran Church
- St. Thomas Episcopal Church
ITEMS THAT CANNOT BE RECYCLED IN GREEN CARTS:
- NO conatiners with excessive foods or liquids still in the containers
- NO containers that contained hazardous materials such as oil or anti-freeze
- NO styrofoam, aluminum foil, pie tins, etc...
- NO plastic wrap, plastic bags, flower pots, toys, etc...
- NO scrap metal, car parts, batteries, etc...
- DO NOT place any yard waste in the green recycling cart
Old Paint and Pesticide Disposal
Latex paint is considered a non-hazardous material as it is comprised mostly of water. Residents should dry out their latex paint by placing kitty litter in the can to absorb the paint. Once the paint is dry, the paint cans, with lids removed, may be placed in the blue cart for pickup. The Cuyahoga Solid Waste District is no longer holding round-ups as they have done in the past.
Tires will not be picked up with rubbish or by the City. Tires should be disposed of through a business that sells tires.
Shred any important or confidential documents as well as outdated prescriptions, eyeglasses, eyeglass parts, sunglasses and cases. Computers can be disposed of at RET3 Job Corp., 1814 E. 40th Rear, 216-361-9991.
Items that can be recycled at the computer and electronics drop off day: Computers, Servers, Monitors, Keyboards, Mice, Speakers, Printers, Faxes, Copiers, Scanners, Stereo Equipment, Cameras, Camcorders, Cell Phones, Palm Eq., Video Games, DVD Players, CD Players, Floppy Discs, Video Game Systems, Microwaves, Li-ion Batteries, Computer Parts, Power Supply, AC Adaptors, Computer Cable, Any Phone System, Electronic Cable CRT Monitors, Flat Screen Monitors