Rubbish Collection & Disposal
TRASH COLLECTION & DISPOSAL IN BEREA
The City of Berea's trash and recycling is picked up by Republic Services. Rubbish and recycling are picked up in blue and green carts. For carts or replacement of damaged carts, please call Republic Services Customer Service at (800) 433-1309.
- All household garbage and trash must be bagged and placed in the blue cart
- Cart lid opening must face the street and handle must face the home
- Cart must be placed on driveway or tree lawn approximately 3 ft. from curb
RUBBISH AND RECYCLING COLLECTION IS ON FRIDAY - CITYWIDE
When a holiday falls on or before your regular pickup day, your rubbish and recycling will be collected one day later than usual. For example, if your regular pickup day is Friday, your rubbish / recycling will be picked up on Saturday. The following Holidays will affect your pickup schedule: - New Year's Day - Memorial Day - July 4th - Labor Day - Thanksgiving Day - Christmas Day.
Heavy and Bulk Items - Once A Month Only
Bulk items such as household furniture, appliances, televisions and other miscellaneous unwanted household items can be placed at the curb on your regular collection day once a month. Bulk Trash will be picked up on Friday the week of the 3rd Monday of the month.
When placing an old refrigerator at the curb, the doors must be removed and placed next to the refrigerator.
Items Not Permitted For Disposal
- Large car parts, tires, batteries, etc.
- Building materials and debris by contractors or private dumpster services. These items must be removed and disposed of by contractors.
2017 Yard Waste & Bulk Pickup Schedule
- Curbside pickup by Republic Services available April 21, 2017 – Dec. 1, 2017
- Grass clippings and other yard waste should be placed in brown paper yard bags, not to exceed 40 lbs.
- Small branches must be cut and bundled, not to exceed 3 ft. or 40 lbs, and placed next to yard waste bags or yard waste cans.
- Yard waste generated by contractors must be removed and disposed of by contractors.
- Loose leaves – The City of Berea will collect leaves at the curb according to published schedule in the fall.
- Brush piles, large branches (3 ft. or longer) – Call the City Service Dept. for pickup – (440) 826-5853.
Collection Guidelines and Times
To ensure pickup of your rubbish and recycling materials, please place them on your tree lawn before 7 a.m. on your pickup day. Recyclables are picked up separately.
NOTE: CITY ORDINANCE PROHIBITS THE PLACING OF RUBBISH OR RECYCLING AT THE CURB EARLIER THAN 4:30 P.M. THE DAY BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED PICKUP.
CURBSIDE RECYCLING IN BEREA
The City of Berea offers weekly curbside recycling for city residents. Combine paper, cardboard, cans, cartons, glass and plastics in the provided wheeled cart. Items should be placed loose, not bagged, in the wheeled cart.
For carts or replacement of damaged carts, please call Republic Services Customer Service at
Combine these items in your curbside recycling:
- CANS: Includes all metal food and beverage cans such as pop, beer, soup, vegetable, and tuna. Cans should be emptied, rinsed, and then recycled.
- CARTONS: Includes milk, juice, soup and broth plus wine cartons. Cartons should be emptied and rinsed. Replace the cap and place in your curbside recycling.
- GLASS: Includes glass food and beverage bottles and jars. Empty, rinse and replace the lid before recycling. You do not need to remove the label.
- PAPER & BOXES: All paper and boxes can be recycled, including newspapers, magazines, junk mail, boxes, greeting cards, cereal boxes, cardboard, phone books and clean pizza boxes. Flatten cardboard items, like cereal boxes, to save space.
- PLASTIC BOTTLES: Any plastic bottle, jar, jug or tub can be placed in your curbside recycling. Recycle plastic food and beverage bottles, cosmetics and personal products, and laundry detergent and bleach bottles. Containers should be emptied and rinsed. Replace the cap and put in your curbside recycling.
Not all plastics with the 1-7 symbol are recyclable. See the chart below.
Plastics recycling list
For more details about recycling, visit the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District at www.CuyahogaRecycles.org or www.cuyahogarecycles.org/berea
The Solid Waste District also offers Recycling FAQs for Cuyahoga County and information on how to recycle properly.
SPECIAL RECYCLING PROGRAMS IN BEREA
Mixed Paper Recycling with Paper Retriever
There are green and yellow Paper Retriever Recycling Bins throughout the City of Berea. These bins are for the collection of magazines, newspapers, office and school papers, catalogs, phone books, shredded paper and junk mail. The locations listed below earn a rebate for the paper collected in their recycling bins.
- Berea-Midpark High School
- Grindstone Elementary School
- Roehm Athletic Center
- St. Mary's Church
- St. Mary's School
- St. Paul Lutheran Church
Simple Recycling offers curbside pickup of unwanted clothing and re-usable housewares. Use the provided green bags and place them beside trash containers on the normal trash pickup day. For more information, visit www.simplerecycling.com. To request bags, please call (216) 438-7109.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
Berea partners with the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District to offer environmentally-safe disposal of hazardous, poisonous or toxic household products that cannot be disposed in the regular trash including oil-based paint, pesticides, automotive fluids and other hazardous products found in the home. See details about the next collection event.
Latex paint is a non-hazardous material. Residents should dry out latex paint by placing kitty litter in the can to absorb the paint. Once the paint is dry the paint cans, with lids removed, may be placed in the trash cart for disposal.
Computers and electronics can be recycled, but not in your curbside recycling. Most contain valuable metals that can be recovered through recycling. Types of equipment that can be recycled include desktops, towers, laptops, monitors, keyboards and peripherals, printers, modems, tablets, e-readers, telecom devices, networking equipment, cables, cell phones and video game systems. See details about the next collection event.
Electronics can also be recycled through local e-waste companies and at some retail locations. Best Buy and Staples allow customers to drop-off items in store. Televisions can be recycled locally for a fee. Learn more about Televisions.
Scrap Tire Collection
When you buy new tires, dispose of your old tires through your tire retailer at the time of purchase. There is a small fee charged for tire disposal, which is a tax used for transporting and disposing of tires through state licensed facilities. If you already have tires at home, contact one of the following store chains who provide tire disposal for non-customers. These include Conrad’s Tire Express, Firestone Auto Care, and National Tire and Battery.
Tires will not be picked up with rubbish or by the City.
Paper shredding events may be held in Berea. See details about the next paper shredding event.