Berea City Schools
What skills will today’s students need to compete successfully in the global economy of the 21st Century? How can we prepare our students for jobs and fields that haven’t yet been created? Do our facilities provide the best environment for our students to succeed? And how are we all helping our students to achieve dreams they never imagined possible?
These are the kinds of issues that confront education today, and the Berea City School District remains in the forefront in addressing these challenges on a daily basis. Our school district, which serves the students in the communities of Berea, Brook Park, and Middleburg Heights, has a proud legacy of excellence that extends back more than 160 years. We take great pride in the tens of thousands of outstanding graduates who have gone on to make their marks and to make a real difference in our communities, our state, our nation, and our world.
We are the Berea City School District, and our vision – our business – is to inspire excellence every day!
The current enrollment is approximately 7,000 students, Preschool through Grade 12. For the 2011-2012 school year, our district consists of:
- Grindstone Elementary School in Berea – Preschool – Grade 4 (opened August 2011)
- Big Creek Elementary School in Middleburg Heights – Preschool – Grade 5
- Brook Park Memorial Elementary School in Brook Park – Preschool – Grade 5
- Brookview Elementary School in Brook Park – Preschool – Grade 5
- Roehm Middle School in Berea – Grades 5 – 8
- Ford Middle School in Brook Park – Grades 6 – 8
- Berea High School in Berea – Grades 9 – 12
- Midpark High School in Middleburg Heights – Grades 9 – 12
In addition, the District staffs the J. & G. Snow School on the Berea Children’s Home campus. The Administration Building is located at 390 Fair Street in Berea, and the District also has a buildings and grounds/maintenance/warehouse facility and Transportation Center in Berea. Beyond the preschool-12 program, the District operates an extensive preschool and extended child care program.
Quick Facts about the Berea City School District
- Rated EXCELLENT on the State Report Card;
- Consistently ranked in "Best Communities for Music Education” in the nation;
- All-day, every day Kindergarten at all elementary buildings;
- Initiated rigorous pre-engineering and pre-biomedical programs in each high school;
- Initiated Mandarin Chinese World Language classes at middle school;
- 100% of our teachers and paraprofessional staff are highly qualified;
- Full-time nurses in every school building, every day;
- Award-winning Video Lab program for middle and high school students;
- Only school district in the nation to offer high school Visual Effects Art Program;
- District consistently receives awards for excellence in financial accountability.